Friday, December 18, 2015

Friday Favorites #3 : Winter Activities

I'm not a huge fan of winter time. For obvious reasons like it gets dark at 4:30PM, but doesn't get light out until 800AM, and it's cold. And because no one knows how to drive in snow, despite the fact that Pittsburgh gets a decent amount of snow each year. Still...everyone seems to panic...


Anyhoo, I was introduced to a concept a few weeks back known as koselig, which I feel is simply summed up here. It's the feeling of cozy, embracing the winter & weather rather than spending 5 months wishing for warmer weather and another 5 months wishing for cooler weather.

So, in the spirit of embracing winter, though it hasn't been much of one yet, I'm linking up with MarCynthia & Courtney as I talk about my favorite winter activities, in an attempt to remind myself I don't hate winter all that much.

1. Sipping hot chocolate (or mulled wine, or hot apple cider or egg nog, or really anything warm)
I love snuggling up on the couch with a blanket, my favorite slippers & a warm drink & watching Netflix. Can Netflix be my favorite winter activity? But seriously, during warmer months you'll find me outside, getting things done around the house, or just sitting on the back porch. But come winter it's time to catch up on all my favorite shows.

Right now I'm watching Blue Bloods & Last Man Standing with the BF & Parenthood on my own.

2. Bonfires
Not quite ideal with lots of snow on the ground, but a good chunk of winter is just spent as cold nights, with no snow. I love sitting by the fire, inside or out. Mostly out around these parts, due to lack of indoor fireplace, but I try to remember it gives me a chance to enjoy the stars.

3. Hiking
You just notice different things in the winter time, you can see different views through the trees, there are no bugs & the things that are green, like holly bushes, are so vibrant against the leafless trees & frosty mornings.



4. Camping ... go ahead, call me crazy.
While I haven't been camping yet this winter, I went last year with the BF & a few friends. It was a blast. We had the trails to ourselves & the shelter as well. We built a roaring fire & brought a flask. It was a little chilly the second morning, but honestly, it's all about dressing for the weather.

5. Date Night to see the lights
One of my favorite things to do is drive around & look at all the Christmas lights. I love them all. I think the gaudy, tacky, cram more things in one yard than I thought was possible yards are my favorite. But I can't deny I love a tastefully decorated house with pine garlands & white lights strung around the front porch. So, whether it's Light Up Night in the city, or driving down nearby city streets it's one of my favorite (& free) date nights.



What are your favorite winter activities? I'm not much of a skier, but I know tons of people love it.
Ever been camping in the winter?
What are you up to this weekend?

4 comments:

  1. I really would like to do more winter hiking. I know I should but it just never happens. I need to keep seeing more blog posts about it to remind me...

    My favorite winter activity is training for races. For real! I know I'm in the minority on this, but I love training hard through the winter. I run better in the cold weather, the additional exercise helps with the seasonal blues, and having structure and something to look forward to helps to pass the aimless dark days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely in the minority on that winter running bit. But I do agree that once I get out there & actually start running it isn't so bad. It's why I love running with a group so much. Motivates me to get out the door.

      Delete
  2. I love to ski... still trying to get somewhere close to San Diego for a weekend trip. That said... i much prefer the warmer weather.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. warm drinks are probably my favorite thing about the winter as well! :)

    ReplyDelete

Because I value each & every comment I aim to respond to each one via email. Please make sure you are not a no-reply Blogger!